Date of Enrolment
September 23, 2016
Ven Paolo B. Valenzuela is a Disaster Risk Management (DRM) professional who specializes in research and advocacy in Community-Based Disaster Risk Management (CBDRM). He earned his Bachelor of Arts in Social Sciences degree from the University of the Philippines Baguio in 2011 where he majored in Social Anthropology and Minored in Political Science and is currently a graduate student at the Graduate Program in Sustainability Science - Global Leadership Initiative of the University of Tokyo.
He has worked as a Project Development Associate of the Resources, Environment and Economics Center for Studies, a think tank that specializes in resource economics and climate change. This was succeeded by being the Advocacy and Policy Officer of the Center for Disaster Preparedness wherein regularly represented the organization to the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council of the Philippines, among others. He has been involved in various researches and programs in relation to disaster risk reduction, climate change adaptation and sustainable development in the past 5 years.
Several Key highlights of his engagements is his research in Typhoon Haiyan regarding the people’s awareness and preparedness of Storm Surges, a comprehensive review of Republic Act 10121 and a study on the utilization of Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Funds.
He has advocated and advanced inclusive disaster risk reduction at the global and regional levels. He has participated in the 3rd United Nations World Conference on Disaster Risk Reduction in Sendai, Japan as a member of the official Philippine delegation. He also participated as a delegate to the 6th Asian Ministerial Conference for Disaster Risk Reduction (AMCDRR) in 2014. He is a member of the Global Network of Civil Society Organizations for Disaster Reduction (GNDR). He was also chosen as one of the 17 early to middle career researchers from Southeast Asia to be part of the 2015 Advanced Institute for Disaster Reduction and Loss Mitigation held in Taipei, Taiwan in April 2015.
His expertise in Disaster Risk Reduction was recognized in 2015 by the SURGE Consortium composed of ChristianAid, OxFam Great Britain, Plan International, and Handicap International by being commended as one of the national champions in advocating DRR and CCA at the national and local levels through policy advancement and leadership.
His personal advocacy is to ensure that DRR and CCA is a global, regional, national and local priority that would enable communities to be safe, resilient, and resistant to disasters and climate change.
Complementing Scientific Knowledge with Local Knowledge towards Disaster Risk Reduction: A Case Study on Disaster Preparedness in Geographically Isolated Coastal and Small Island Communities in the Philippines
Disaster Risk Reduction, Disaster Preparedness, Disaster Risk Management, Climate Change Adaptation, Coastal Hazards, Coastal Disasters, Natural Hazards, Local Knowledge, Indigenous Knowledge
Disaster Risk Reduction, Disaster Risk Management, Resilience, Disaster Risk Policy, Disaster Risk Governance, Climate Change, Coastal Hazards, Coastal Disasters, Natural Hazards, Local Knowledge, Indigenous Knowledge
• Mikami, T., Shibayama, T., Takagi, H., Matsumaru, R., Esteban, M., Nguyen, D. T., De Leon, M., Valenzuela, V. P., Oyama, T., Nakamura, R., Kumagai, K. and Li, S. (2015) “Storm Surge Heights and Damage Caused by the 2013 Typhoon Haiyan along the Leyte Gulf Coast”, Coastal Engineering Journal
• Esteban, M., Valenzuela, V. P., Matsumaru, R., Mikami, T., Shibayama, T., Takagi, H., Nguyen, D. T., De Leon, M. (2015) “Storm Surge Awareness in the Philippines Prior to Typhoon Haiyan: a Comparative Analysis with Tsunami Awareness in Recent Times”, Coastal Engineering Journal
• Esteban, M., Valenzuela, P. V. Namyi, Y., Mikami, T., Shibayama, T., Matsumaru, R., Takagi, H. Thao, ND., de Leon M., , Oyama, T. Nakamura, R. (2015) “Typhoon Haiyan 2013 Evacuation Preparations and Awareness”., J-SustaiN 3 (1) 37-45
• Esteban M., Matsumaru, R., Takagi, H., Mikami, T., Shibayama, T, De Leon, M,Valenzuela, V. P., and Nguyen Danh Thao (2014) “Study on disaster Information Dissemination and People’s Response to Evacuation –The Case of the 2013 Typhoon Yolanda (Haiyan)” Annual Journal of Civil Engineering in the Ocean, JSCE, Japan.
• Esteban, M., Nguyen D. T., Takagi, H., Valenzuela, V. P. and Tam, T.T. (2014) “Storm Surge and Tsunami Awareness and Preparedness in Central Vietnam”, In Coastal Disasters and Climate Change in Vietnam: Engineering and Planning Perspectives, Nguyen D. T., Takagi, H. and Esteban, M. editors, Elsevier, Amsterdam.
[Reports, Papers and Other Related Researches]
• Valenzuela, V.P.B., Cagay-Fellizar, M. Bersamin, K., Molina, F.G. (2015). Support to the Sunset Review of RA10121 and its Implementing Rules and Regulations (Report). Pasig City, Philippines: The Asia Foundation.
• Victoria, L.P., Balgos, B.C. Valenzuela, V.P.B., Molina, F.G. (2014). National Survey for Climate Change Education for Sustainable Development in the Philippines (Report). Jakarta, Indonesia: UNESCO Jakarta.
• Balgos, B.C., Dela Cruz, L.B., Valenzuela, V.P.B. (2014). Preparing Metro Manila Toward Urban Resiliency: Prospects and Retrospect. (Input Paper Prepared for the Global Assessment Report 2015). Quezon City, Philippines: Center for Disaster Preparedness, Inc.
• Valenzuela, V.P.B. and Santos, D.M. (2011). The Environmental Movement and the New Media: An Analysis of the Blogs of Four Environmental Movement Organizations and their Presentation of the Issue of Climate Change over the Internet (Bachelor’s Thesis). University of the Philippines, Baguio City, Benguet, Cordillera Administrative Region, Philippines.
• Valenzuela, V.P. B. "A Principled Choice." Editorial. Philippine Daily Inquirer 20 Apr. 2014
• Valenzuela, V.P. B. "Photographs and Memories." Editorial. Philippine Daily Inquirer 30 Jan. 2009
• Valenzuela, V.P. B. "Knowledge." Editorial. Philippine Daily Inquirer 14 Oct. 2008
• Nguyen, H.Q., Monprapussorn, S., Bose, P., Tam H, and Valenzuela, V.P.B. (2015) Transforming Urban Flood Maps To Local Practices (Studies of India, Malaysia, Philippines, Thailand and Vietnam). 2015 Advanced Institute for Disaster Reduction and Loss Mitigation. Academica Sinica, IRDR International Center of Excellence, Taipei, global change SysTem for Analysis, Research and Training (START), and International Council for Science (ICSU). Taipei, Taiwan. 26 April 2015
• Nguyen, H.Q., Valenzuela, V.P.B. (2015) Multistakeholder Leadership in the Implementation of the Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction 2015-2030. Academica Sinica, IRDR International Center of Excellence, Taipei, global change SysTem for Analysis, Research and Training (START), and International Council for Science (ICSU). Taipei, Taiwan. 26 April 2015
• Berse, K., Lumanog, E., Talubo, J.P., Pratomo, R.A., Patongloan, A., Valenzuela, V.P.B., Deshkar, S., Napieralska, A.,Gonzales, K. (2015) Beyond Reducing Disaster Risks: Strengthening Community Resilience in Selected Coastal and Island Communities in Indonesia and Philippines. Academica Sinica, IRDR International Center of Excellence, Taipei, global change SysTem for Analysis, Research and Training (START), and International Council for Science (ICSU). Taipei, Taiwan. 26 April 2015
• Valenzuela, V.P.B. (2015). Road from Sendai. Going beyond the known: Harnessing Environmental Revitalization through Visionary Public Administration, 4th Biannual Eastern Visayas Political Science Conference. University of the Philippines Visayas Tacloban College, 26 March 2015.
• Valenzuela, V. P.B., Esteban, M. Nam-Yi, Y., Matsumaru, R., Mikami, T., Shibayama, T,,Takagi, H., Nguyen Danh Thao De Leon, M,. Oyama, T., Nakamura, R. (2015). Storm Surge Preparedness and Awareness in Typhoon Yolanda 2013. 1st International Conference on Building Resilience and Developing Sustainability. The University of the Philippines Baguio, Japan Foundation, World Food Programme. 14-17 January 2015. University of the Philippines, Baguio City, Philippines.
• Esteban M., Valenzuela, V. P, Nam-Yi, Y., Matsumaru, R., Mikami, T., Shibayama, T,,Takagi, H., Nguyen Danh Thao De Leon, M,. Oyama, T., Nakamura, R. (2014) “Storm Surge Awareness and Disaster Preparedness for Typhoon Yolanda in 2013” Intl. Symposium One Year After Yolanda: Findings and Discussion for the Future, De la Salle University, Manila, 17th Oct 2014.
• Esteban, M., Takagi, H., Nguyen, D. T., Tam, T.T., Valenzuela, V. P., Trang, D. D. T. and Anh, L. T. (2014) “Tsunami Awareness and Preparedness Along the Central Vietnamese Coastline”. 6th International Tsunami Symposium, 2-5 September 2014, Costa Rica
Fellow, 2015 Advanced Institute for Disaster Reduction and Loss Mitigation
Member, Disaster Risk Reduction Network Philippines,
Member, Global Network of Civil Society Organizations for Disaster Reduction
Founding Member, ASEAN Youth Network for Disaster Risk Reduction